Healthy Mermaid Beach Snacks you cannot live without!
There’s nothing like a case of getting hangry (aka. grumpy from being hungry) to ruin your mermaid adventures this summer. Packing the perfect beach snacks are key to keeping you feeling your best while frolicking at the beach all day long.
I like to pack light when I go to the beach. My requirements for beach snacks are that they must be highly portable and lightweight. They have to be able to handle the heat, and not get gross. No cooler required. They have to be actually good for me. I do my best to buy organic, real food, that’s not processed. I choose energized and happy over sluggish and bloated.
5 healthy snacks perfect for taking to the beach:
1) Cut up pineapple + watermelon: Eat these first, as its not best for fruit to sit in the heat all day long. It’s also easier on your body to digest raw fruit without other foods in your belly at the same time. Both taste exactly like summer should.
Pineapple is rich in the phytonutrient bromelain which aids in digestion and reduces belly bloating. It also has high levels of vitamin C which keeps your immune system strong and boosts collagen production (hello smooth and gorgeous skin).
Watermelon a great way to hydrate your body when you’re sweaty and in the heat. It is loaded with lycopene, a powerful antioxidant which repairs damage, fights disease, and is anti-cancer.
2) Goji berries: These easy to snack on superfood berries are packed full of healthy goodness. Rich in beta-carotene, they help give you a golden glow naturally from the inside. Eating beta-carotene rich foods daily may also reduce sun burns and support the effectiveness of sunscreen. They also support the immune system, fight cancer, and stabilize the blood sugar. Just be sure not to go too crazy, as too much beta carotene can turn the skin temporarily orange.
3) Almonds (preferably raw): Almonds are high in protein, healthy fats, and fibre which means they keep you feeling full for longer, while also stabilizing your blood sugar to prevent you from crashing. The healthy fats are essential for keeping your brain healthy and happy, and your skin looking beautiful.
4) Roasted seaweed snacks: These green superfood seaweed snacks are popping up in stores everywhere these days. I joke with my husband that I’m giving him a mermaid kiss when I smooch him post snacking on these. Seaweed, and nori specifically, is high in vitamins A, C, and B-12 (something that many vegans need more of). These snacks are also high in iodine which supports healthy skin, hair, and nails. Iodine has been shown to speed up hair growth for long and thick mermaid locks.
5) Coconut water: Coconut water is my favorite tropical tasting beverage that restores electrolyte balance and keeps you hydrated. Coconut water also aids in digestion which keeps your belly feeling much better at the beach.
Don’t forget if you eat some less than stellar snacks on the beach this summer that it’s okay! Balance is essential. You can make the choice to pack something healthier the next day. Always listen to your body.
Let us know in the comments what your favourite beach snacks are?
By Zennor Mermaid,
Lindsay Havlicek Bell, Psy.D., RYT-200, HHC
Lindsay is a holistic lifestyle expert + coach, yoga teacher, blogger, photographer, and mermaid living in the Sunshine State. She quit her day job and sold all of her stuff to live simply by the beach with her family. She believes in living life on purpose rather than by accident.Lindsay Havlicek Bell